Saturday 7 July - Walden’s “Amazing” Heritage: A Guided Walking Tour
Starting at 2.30pm from Swan Meadow car park
This free event will take the form of a two hour “walk and talk” led by John Ready around the town’s five labyrinths and mazes to explore their history and design. Families are welcome and the tour will include:
- The famous Turf Maze on the Common, with its 1km long brick pathway, uncertain date of first construction in the seventeenth century and curious links to Waterloo.
- Francis Gibson’s Victorian hedge maze adjacent to the beautifully restored Bridge End Garden and recently constructed Visitors’ Centre.
- The Fry Gallery’s bronze sculpture “Sun Maze” by the Minotaur-obsessed artist, Michael Ayrton, who is buried in Hadstock churchyard with a bronze maze on his headstone.
- The brick labyrinth installed on the floor of the bandstand in Jubilee gardens during the 2013 Maze Festival, which was designed by John Ready and opened by Adrian Fisher.
- The newly refurbished Swan Meadow maze, designed by John for the 2016 Maze Festival and opened by Jeff Saward. It contains ten miniature “finger mazes” for young children.
Numbers will be limited to 20 so book with John Ready on 07813 591148 or email email@example.com
Sunday 21 October - English Spirit Distillery Visit
1.10pm at the Common Car Park to car share or 2pm at The Black Barn, Great Yeldham Hall, Church Road, Great Yeldham CO9 4PT
Join us for a free tour and tasting at the English Spirit Distillery. It is a small batch copper pot distillery set up over 6 years ago by Dr John Walters, a biochemist from Oxford. Their products include Old Fashioned English Toffee Vodka, Dr J’s Gin, English Single Malt Spirit, Sambuca and Old Salt Rum. Last Year they won 18 international awards for their spirits. A tour and tasting normally takes between 90 minutes and two hours. They are offering a 10% discount on all purchases and are able to accommodate wheelchair access.
Numbers will be limited to 20 and those who signed up last time before the visit was cancelled will be given priority. Please book with David Pearl on 01799 500952 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday 22 November - AGM & Talk
7.15pm for 7.30pm start in the Court Room, Town Hall, Saffron Walden